Water in Bilge

Ask your engine or other mechanical system questions here.
footbrake

Water in Bilge

Post by footbrake » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 am

Hello, I usually turn my pumps on before leaving the dock and there is never any water pumping out, even if the boat sits 3-4 days. What has been happening lately is when I get back to the dock after being out for a couple hours it pumps out water from one of my rear pumps for about 10-15 seconds. Where is this water coming from while I'm underway? All my pumps are on float switches but the water is never enough to activate them, only if I manually turn on the pumps. I have a pump in the rear area where the rudder comes through but that never comes on, so I'm ruling out that area. I'm thinking it could be a leaking engine seacock or the shaft seal. What do you guys think.

Stand By

Re: Water in Bilge

Post by Stand By » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:20 pm

Your shaft packing is suppose to pass water, but measured in drips. Check your rudder packing. Check all your hoses. I have some leakes on my corrigated exhaust I just discovered. Ordering new exhaust hoses this winter. Check to see if the raw water valve (seacock) leaks. Check your pumps and hoses at the front of the engine as well.

NIGHT LIGHT

Post by NIGHT LIGHT » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm

My boat had the original Chris-Craft cast-iron exhaust mufflers and they had rusted a little hole in one of them. and that's where I was getting water in the belge when iwould run the boat. Check for small leaks in your exhaust system.

JimInJax

Post by JimInJax » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm

I had a similar problem. And it was my shaft packing. Repacked it twice... twice it continued to leak after a short period. Then the transmission started losing fluid. Long story short. P.O. bought the boat with a twisted cutlass strut. That altered the geometry of the shaft and input coupler for the transmission caused the seals to fail and wear the gears abnormally. Since the shaft had also be come out of round (has to replace that, too), it wore a groove in the cutlass bearing, and in turn, in the shaft packing gland. So, after a transmission rebuild, I replaced the packing with dripless. Now, the only time I see water in there is if I wash the boat. It's not an insanely expensive upgrade, but the access on my Cat (single engine) was not easy. While the transmission was out, not so bad, though.

Now, I'm not saying you have the same problem - hell, I didn't know *I* had the problem since my surveyor *missed* the twisted cutlass strut. But I would recommend checking the running gear, just in case.

Jim

The boat's blog, if you are interested: www.thehard6.com

footbrake

Post by footbrake » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Night light you're exactly right on this one. I have a leak in one of the original cast iron mufflers, it was rotten especially it being originally a salt water boat . Going to replace them both with SS tube.