Steering Cable System

Doing a refit or major repair and want to share it with the group? Post it here
Frankdmayo

Steering Cable System

Post by Frankdmayo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:17 am

I broke my steering cable and found I had the old style safety Lock cable ssc7215 that did not work with the new style safety lock system.The original cable can be found at nearly 200.00 because they are not common anymore so the price went up! So I ordered a Seastar teleflex cable SSC6216 (16ft) cable $169.00, SA27620 adapter for my old style helm $11.95, and an ALUMINUM SUPPORT TUBE Seastar SA27274P $21.62 only because mine was bad and good time to replace it. I had previously installed a SeaStar ball post Clamp Block SA-27149P Stainless Steel $95.00 (works with any cable that uses a support tube). They have a cheaper version made of aluminum but I used SS. This completed my CC251 complete steering assembly except the helm steering wheel. I used my old helm and steering wheel. All this was for my CC 251 Catalina Express just use the cable length for your vessel (hint the last two digits is the length so you see my old cable was 15ft and my new one was 16ft. BUT try to order the same length of cable that was in your boat. too short will never work :( but too long can be a problem too 1ft extra was plenty in my case!